Addiction Treatment Massage Therapy Benefits
Addiction Treatment Massage Therapy
Massage therapy helps individuals suffering from addiction to find alternative ways to relieve stress. Not only is massage therapy a popular form of relief, but it also strengthens the immune system and elevates one’s overall sense of well-being.
During recovery, stress-related hormone levels tend to rise while serotonin and dopamine levels drop. Massage therapy helps to reverse this by raising levels of endorphins in the blood. For example, drug addiction occurs when an individual experiences an excessive level of dopamine “rush” that the body cannot naturally produce on its own. Conversely, when the person abstains from using, his dopamine levels are abnormally low, so massage therapy helps counteract the effects of fluctuating hormonal levels that produce symptoms such as anxiety, depression, and cravings.
Massage therapy focuses on stimulating healing within the body while also encouraging the central nervous system to release feel-good hormones. As a component of addiction treatment, massage therapy works to help you in a variety of ways. Yet, massage therapy can offer much more to individuals in addiction treatment. Massage therapy allows individuals to sleep better. Withdrawal and early treatment can create insomnia in many people. You are facing numerous emotions and changes in the recovery process. At any point – from the early side effects of withdrawal to the worrisome feelings of failure – you may have sleepless nights. Massage therapy can help to ease the mind and encourage more sleep and better quality of sleep in many people.
Get Help. Get Better. Get Your Life Back.
Searching for an Accredited Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Near You?
Even if you have failed previously and relapsed, or are in the middle of a difficult crisis, we stand ready to support you. Our trusted behavioral health specialists will not give up on you. When you feel ready or just want someone to speak to about therapy alternatives to change your life call us. Even if we cannot assist you, we will lead you to wherever you can get support. There is no obligation. Call our hotline today.(844) 597-1011
History of Massage Therapy
Massage therapy was initially introduced to the Americas in the 1850s. After becoming popular again in the 1970s, massage therapy has stuck around, currently being used to treat a wide variety of ailments, including:
- Pain and Sports Injuries
- Helping to Reduce Stress & Anxiety
- Promote General Health.
During massage therapy, therapists manipulate the body’s muscles by pushing and rubbing the body’s soft tissues.
Massage therapists use different parts of their bodies to work their clients’ muscles, including:
- Hands and Fingers
- Feet (in some massage types)
Types of Addiction Treatment Massage Therapies
There are many different types of massage therapy. Each type focuses on another part of the body or is performed with varying benefits in mind. In the United States, these individuals are often referred to as massage therapists because they must be certified and licensed as “Licensed Massage Therapists”.
Here are a few popular types of this holistic treatment:
- Trigger Point Massage: Best suited for those with an injury or chronic pain in a particular area, Trigger Point Massage focuses on a specific problem area of the body to reduce pain. This massage uses strong, even pressure on the muscles.
- Deep tissue Massage: Designed for people who hold considerable tension in their muscles or suffer from chronic pain, a deep tissue massage is an intense form of massage. Firm pressure and slow strokes help massage deep into the muscles to relieve tension from the body’s innermost tissues.
- Shiatsu Massage: A type of Japanese massage meant to help clients relax and relieve stress, Shiatsu massage is a full-body massage, during which the therapist will use their hands, fingers, palms, and thumbs to manipulate parts of the body that hold tension
- Swedish Massage: Recommended for those inexperienced in massage therapy, Swedish Massage is a gentle, full-body massage designed to help release knots in the body’s muscles. Because of its gentle nature, Swedish massage typically lasts longer than other massage types and includes deep, circular motions with a gentle kneading of the muscles.
- Hot stone Massage: Similar in technique to Swedish Massage, Hot Stone Massage utilizes heated stones instead of, or in addition to, the massage therapist’s hands. The added heat of the stones helps to increase blood flow and further release muscle tension.
Get Your Life Back
Find Hope & Recovery. Get Safe Comfortable Detox, Addiction Rehab & Dual Diagnosis High-Quality Care.Hotline(844) 597-1011
New Method Wellness of Massage Therapy
Addiction treatment massage is one of the numerous holistic methods you can choose from as part of your recovery plan at New Method Wellness. Our skilled and experienced massage therapists are well acquainted with the effects of addiction on the body, and they will ease your transition into recovery with their healing hands.
- Individualized Treatment
- Addiction Psychiatry
- Evidence-Based Therapy DBT, CBT
- Family Group Therapy
- Holistic Approach
- Yoga Therapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Process Groups
- Sand Tray Therapy
- Equine Therapy
- Guided Imagery
- Nutritional Counseling
- Acupuncture Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Wilderness Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Surf Therapy
- Wolf Assisted Therapy
- Paddleboarding Therapy
- Art Therapy
Benefits of Addiction Treatment Massage Therapy
Addiction treatment massage helps those facing substance abuse issues and attend holistic treatment in several ways, both physical and mental. The main benefits are listed below, but additional benefits can come from massage therapy and vary from person to person.
- Increases blood flow: The physical manipulation of the body helps to increase blood flow within the body. Increased blood flow can improve the body’s immune system, typically significantly weakened in those dealing with substance abuse problems.
- Eliminates muscle tension: Those going through the recovery process after having a substance abuse problem often hold a considerable amount of stress in their body. Those stress levels can increase during the detoxification process. Massage therapy can help relieve any excess tension held in the body.
- Improves sleep: Those facing substance abuse issues often have trouble with insomnia, especially early in the facility’s recovery process, like a cocaine rehab center. Stimulating pressure receptors in the body reduces stress, allowing massage therapy clients to sleep better and experience deeper sleep.
- Helps remove toxins: Massage therapy also helps the body process the toxins left over from substance abuse more quickly than someone who has not received massage therapy.
First-class Facilities & Amenities
World-class High-Quality Addiction & Mental Health Rehabilitation TreatmentRehab Centers Tour
Renowned Addiction Centers. Serene Private Facilities. Inpatient rehab programs vary.Addiction Helpline(844) 597-1011
Proven recovery success experience, backed by a Team w/ History of:
- 15+ Years Experience
- 100s of 5-Star Reviews
- 10K+ Recovery Successes
- Low Patient to Therapist Ratio
- Onsite Medical Detox Center
- Comprehensive Dual-Diagnosis Treatment
- Complimentary Family & Alumni Programs
- Coaching, Recovery & Personal Development Events
Mental & Emotional Benefits of Addiction Treatment Massage Programs
Massage therapy can help anyone, but because individuals who have been through a substance abuse problem are mentally and physically worn down, they will reap the benefits of this holistic treatment more readily.
Mental and emotional benefits of addiction treatment massage may include:
- Reduces stress: Those facing addiction problems often repress their anxiety, especially at a drug treatment center. Massage therapy can help to relieve that stress. At times, clients find themselves becoming a little emotional during massage therapy. This is normal, as stress reduction can have a considerable impact on a person’s emotional state.
- Releases feel-good chemicals: During massage therapy, both serotonin and dopamine are released. These feel-good chemicals are essential for the body, especially during the early stages of withdrawal when the body’s dopamine levels drop. Massage therapy also reduces the cortisol levels in the body, a stress hormone that can cause feelings of anxiousness.
- Increases self-awareness: One of the lasting emotional benefits of massage therapy is an increase in self-awareness. Getting to know oneself and one’s limits better allow for better self-control. After leaving a rehabilitation facility like a cocaine rehab center, this helps prevent clients from relapsing and have better self-awareness.
World-class, Accredited, 5-Star Reviewed, Effective Addiction & Mental Health Programs. Complete Behavioral Health Inpatient Rehab, Detox plus Co-occuring Disorders Therapy.CALL(844) 597-1011
End the Addiction Pain. End the Emotional Rollercoaster. Get Your Life Back. Start Drug, Alcohol & Dual Diagnosis Mental Health Treatment Now. Get Free No-obligation Guidance by Substance Abuse Specialists Who Understand Addiction & Mental Health Recovery & Know How to Help.
Why You Should Consider an Addiction Treatment Center that Offers Massage Therapy
Addiction treatment massage helps those facing substance abuse problems in a multitude of ways. Both the emotional and physical benefits of massage therapy are increased for those battling addiction. Don’t let massage therapy offerings fool you. Drug and alcohol treatment centers that offer this service know there are specific benefits massage can provide their clients and other treatment modalities. Stress relief, improving sleep, and helping to increase self-awareness are all factors that make massage therapy important for those attending rehabilitation facilities such as heroin drug treatment facilities or cocaine addiction centers.
Advantages of Addiction Treatment Massage Therapy
People in the early stages of recovery often face complex roadblocks emotionally and physically. It can be an uncomfortable process that requires ongoing treatment and medical management of symptoms. Massage therapy is one treatment method that has many benefits for people in recovery.
- Massage therapy helps with the detox process
- Massage therapy increases dopamine and serotonin in the body
- Massage therapy reduces pain, agitation, and anxiety
- Massage therapy promotes better sleep
- Massage therapy improves self-awareness
- Massage therapy is relaxing
- Massage therapy builds trust
- Massage therapy is a natural, alternative treatment
Massage therapy and bodywork are some of the many holistic therapies offered at We Level Up Treatment Center. On a physical level, massage therapy eases muscle tension and promotes relaxation. On an emotional and spiritual level, massage releases endorphins (natural pain killers) that lead to a feeling of well-being. The difference between massage therapy and other holistic addiction techniques is that the client does not have to talk or think through the therapy process. Bodywork demands little from the patient but produces proven pain management, stress relief, and recovery success.
If you need more information about addiction treatment massage therapy, please get a hold of us today. At We Level Up, addiction treatment experts can give you a more in-depth explanation and help make this your opportunity to reclaim your life. Call today to speak with one of our treatment specialists. They know what you are going through and will answer any of your questions.
Your call is private and confidential, and there is never any obligation.
Experience Transformative Recovery at the We Level Up Treatment Center.
See our authentic success stories. Get inspired. Get the help you deserve.
Hotline (844) 597-1011
Start a New Life
Begin with a free call to an addiction & behavioral health treatment advisor. Learn more about our dual-diagnosis programs. The We Level Up treatment center network delivers recovery programs that vary by each treatment facility. Call to learn more.
- Personalized Care
- Caring Accountable Staff
- World-class Amenities
- Licensed & Accredited
- Renowned w/ 100s 5-Star Reviews
We’ll Call You
 NCBI – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3018656/
Table of Contents