Intervention Services combine program elements or strategies designed to produce behavior changes or improve individuals or an entire population. Interventions may include:
- Educational Programs
- New or more robust policies
- Improvements in the environment
- A health promotion campaign
Drug & Alcohol Addiction Intervention Services
Anyone close to a long-term alcoholic or drug addict knows that getting someone to quit is tough. Denial is a powerful force that keeps a tight physical and mental grasp on its habitual users. Ready to approach them to get help? You must have the right strategy and the proper support. The best way to go about such a sensitive topic is to work with a seasoned interventionist like ours at We Level Up. These interventions can apply to both the family and the loved one.
An intervention often occurs either because either the family or the substance or alcoholic user is at a breaking point. The family realizes the loved one cannot or will not stop without an external impetus. A drug or alcohol user will inevitably require some form of intervention to recognize the need for change.
Do Drug & Alcohol Interventions Work?
Yes, interventions can be successful in getting an addicted person to admit that they have a problem and to realize that they need help. Addicts are more likely to undergo addiction treatment when there has been an intervention; however, it does not necessarily increase the efficacy of their treatment or their likelihood of success. However, social support and family support are significant components in recovery, and intervention can be an asset later on.
There are several factors to consider, such as the nature of the organizer’s relationship with the individual. While deciding whether an intervention is the right choice for your loved one is a significant decision on its own, they must determine which type of intervention would be the most effective.
The Different Types Of Interventions
Just as addiction treatment is not a one-size-fits-all process, neither are interventions. Instead, there are multiple types and can vary on the setting, the number of people involved, and their relationship with the addicted person.
- Simple Intervention: A simple intervention is the least aggressive of all. More often than not, it is merely a conversation acknowledging the person’s addiction and asking them to seek treatment. Rather than involving many people, a simple intervention usually consists of one or possibly two individuals. Despite the simplicity of this approach, this method can be quite effective even without an addiction intervention counselor.
- Classic Intervention: Also known as the Johnson Model, like the name would suggest, this is the most mainstream type of intervention and the kind that comes to mind. It involves prior planning with all participants (except the addicted person), which usually includes close family members and close friends. The critical element of this intervention approach is that the confrontation is a surprise to the individual. Therefore, addiction intervention services can help tremendously in the intervention’s planning stage and maximize effectiveness.
- Crisis Intervention: Unlike the other types of interventions, this kind is usually impromptu and occurs when the addicted person has become a danger to themselves. The goal of this approach is to stabilize the situation and keep them safe. Convincing them to go to rehab may be discussed but is not the prime objective in this situation.
- Family System Intervention: This type of intervention involves other family members who suffer from addiction. This approach is based on the family systems theory and can be a great motivation to recover and undergo treatment. These family members are very involved in the addiction person’s recovery efforts beyond the intervention itself and participate in family counseling and the individual. This method is amazingly effective for repairing and strengthening family bonds.
Do I Need Addiction Intervention Services?
While interventions can catalyze force in an addict getting sober, it is not guaranteed that an intervention will always be successful. A botched intervention can strain relationships and further alienate the addicted person from their loved ones when done incorrectly. One of the main risks of intervention and one of the biggest reasons why they should always consult professional addiction intervention specialists before staging an intervention and present during.
Addiction intervention services can help defuse tensions and help to mediate the conversation. This can make interventions much more likely to be successful and result in the addicted person enrolling in rehab.
Tips For Holding An Intervention
Your We Level Up addiction services counselor will walk you through the planning process to minimize the possibility of adverse outcomes. Here are a few recommendations of how to do an intervention.
- Guilt trips aren’t welcome here. The purpose is not to shame an addict but to open their eyes to how they have harmed themselves and others.
- Do not yell. This can make them feel attacked and put them on the defensive.
- Be mindful of the time and setting. Make this confrontation as non-stressful as possible and avoid doing it when their emotions are already volatile (like after a breakup or getting fired) or somewhere that they will be distracted or intimidated.
- Be as specific as possible. Each participant is recommended to an itemized list of short grievances and the point.
- Write down speaking points in advance. Doing so when your calm can help prevent things from being said harshly in the heat of the moment.
At We Level Up Treatment Center, we provide world-class care with round-the-clock medical professionals available to help you cope. All working as a team providing intervention services guidance and information on all aspects of treatment. Make this your opportunity to reclaim your life. Call today to speak with one of our treatment specialists. Our specialists understand interventions. Many of them know what you are going through personally and can answer any of your questions. We Level Up Rehab Center’s free hotline is open 24/7 for no-hassle calls about interventions and more.
Your call is private and confidential and there is never any obligation.